Business Valuations & Financial Litigation Support
Individuals and organizations may encounter situations that require specialized business valuations (i.e. what is the business worth?) or financial litigation support services (i.e. how much are the damages?). Our team of experts will work with your legal team to understand the situation, then provide the advice and solution needed.
Prepared. Informed. Engaged.
KRP services a variety of medium and large businesses operating in a broad spectrum of industries. Our business valuations are objective and defensible entailing discussions with management and key employees, site visits, market and industry research, analysis of historical financial data, review of business plans and forecasts, comparison to market data and consideration of goodwill and other intangible assets.
Valuation services provided may include:
Calculation Valuation Report - A Calculation Valuation Report contains a conclusion as to the value of shares, assets, or an interest in a business that is based on minimal review and analysis and little or no corroboration of relevant information, and generally set out in a very brief Valuation Report. The assurance provided therefrom would equate to the assurance provided by a Notice to Reader Report attached to a set of financial statements.
Estimate Valuation Report - An Estimate Valuation Report contains a conclusion as to the value of shares, assets, or an interest in a business that is based on the business valuators review and analysis but no audit procedures to corroborate relevant information, the findings of which are set out in a substantive Valuation Report. The assurance provided therefrom would equate to the assurance provided by a Review Engagement Report attached to a set of financial statements.
Comprehensive Valuation Report - A Comprehensive Valuation Report contains a conclusion as to the value of shares, assets or an interest in a business that is based on a comprehensive review and analysis of the business, its industry and all other relevant factors, adequately corroborated and set out in a detailed Valuation Report. Essentially, the assurance provided therefrom would equate to that assurance provided by an Auditor’s Report attached to a set of financial statements.
These reports are prepared in accordance with the standards of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, with varying levels of assurance that is customized to best serve your needs.
Our Business Valuations professionals have obtained the following designations: Chartered Business Valuator (CBV), Chartered Professional Accountant-Chartered Accountant (CPA-CA) and/or Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) with comprehensive knowledge of valuation approaches and methods to value assets, shares, wholly owned or minority interests in Canada and the USA. They possess valuation experience in diverse situations where a business valuation study is prudent.
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Matrimonial property divisions
- Partnership or corporate dissolutions (sometimes referred to as “corporate divorce”)
- Investment and financing decisions
- Royalty rate studies
- Divestiture of majority and minority interests (including requirement of determination of “fair value”)
- Management buy-outs
- Employee share ownership plans
- Succession or estate planning
- Fairness opinion
- Going private transactions
- Financial reporting: purchase price allocation and goodwill impairment testing
- Intangible asset valuations
- Corporate finance due diligence
We note that other commonly used terms used to describe the services we provide are:
- Business Evaluation
- Determination of Share Value
- Business or Company Appraisal
- Determination of Business Worth
Questions that you may have that may result in the need for business valuation services:
- What is my business/company worth? What is its fair market value?
- What should I pay for a particular business/company?
- Should I purchase shares or assets of a business/company?
Financial Litigation Support
KRP provides a full range of Financial Litigation Support services to the legal and business community. Our mandate is to provide credible, objective and defensible solutions to your financial and economic emergencies. Our services include:
- Independent assessment of economic loss, business interruption loss and damage quantification
- Assistance with preparation for Questioning or Cross-Examination
- Preparation of Expert Reports in compliance with the Rules of Court
- Rebuttal or critique of opposing Expert’s Report
- Qualified as Experts to provide accounting, taxation and business valuation evidence before a court, regulatory body or government authority
- Attendance at Trial, Judicial Dispute Resolution (JDR), Mediation and Arbitration
Our Financial Litigation Support specialists include Chartered Business Valuators (CBVs), Chartered Professional Accountants-Chartered Accountants (CPA-CAs), and a Certified Forensic Investigator (CFI) whose extensive experience covers a wide range of expertise including:
- Shareholder and partnership disputes
- Breach of contract
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Breach of duty of care
- Insurance claims, for the plaintiff and the defendant
- Tort claims
- Matrimonial disputes, guideline income calculations
- Intellectual property infringement
- Oppression Remedy, Section 241 of the Canada Business Corporations Act (CBCA)
- Dissent Remedy, Section 190 of the CBCA
- Personal injury and fatal accident claims